By Jasmine | October 17, 2009
I lost the slip case for my lifebook a couple of months ago and I am taking it to Sydney on Monday so I though I would make a simple replacement for it…
I had earmarked some ironing board padding that was left over from when I added some extra softness to the cheap ironing board to stop it leaving mesh shaped imprints on everything I ironed.
I found some left over red heavy satin and a scrap of odd corduroy fabric and devised a rough pattern.
Originally the case was going to be a simple square piece of fabric sewn together along the edge (about 1 com in ) so the lining was visible along the edge…
After cutting it out and making said square shape I found that I had cut it too small to accommodate the additional thickness of the wadding.
It was also too thick to sew through along the edge even if I changed the orientation so that it was just a slip (no flap)..
I tried blanket stitching the edge witch some thick oiled string (heavy thread used for sewing shoe soles on) but I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the needle through the fabric and after two and a half stitches the needle broke at the eye…
I then came up with the idea of using elastic straps around the edge that were tight enough to hold the edges closed and two loops to hold the flap down.
Surprisingly it worked and it doesn’t look too bad. The squares of stitches that hold the elastic on are far from perfect but they are not that bad. Overall it doesn’t look too shabby.
Anyway pictures of the achievement.
Comments are closed.